Self-employed Persons Program
What is a Self-Employed Persons Program?
As a self-employed individual, you may qualify to immigrate to Canada via this program.
If you are interested in this program, you must:
- have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and
- be able and willing to make a significant contribution to the athletic or cultural life in Canada
Who can apply?
To immigrate as a self-employed, you must:
- Have an experience that is relevant.
- Be able and willing to be self-employed in Canada.
- Meet the program’s selection criteria.
- For cultural activities: being self-employed in cultural activities for 2 one-year periods, or participating at a world-class level in cultural activities for 2 one-year periods, or a combination of a one-year period in (a), and a one-year period in (b) above for athletics: being self-employed in athletics for two 1-year periods, or participating at a world-class level in athletics for two 1-year periods, or a combination of a 1-year period in (a) above, and a 1-year period in (b) above meet security, medical and other conditions. Relevant experience is required as a:
- a self-employed in cultural activities or athletics
- World-class level cultural activities or athletics; or
At least two years of relevant experience are required as a self-employed individual.
Relevant experience must lie in between- 5 years prior to the day of application and end date (the day Immigration, Refugee Canada Citizenship – IRCC makes a decision on your application). If you as a candidate have 3-5 years of experience you can get more points.
Your experience must be at a minimum:
Eligible Occupations under Self-Employed Persons Program
Professional occupations in art and culture (Major Group 51 of NOC):511 Librarians, archivists, conservators, and curators:
- 5111 Librarians
- 5112 Conservators and curators
- 5113 Archivists
512 Writing, translating, and related communications professionals:
- 5121 Authors and writers
- 5122 Editors
- 5123 Journalists
- 5125 Translators, terminologists, and interpreters
513 Creative and performing artists:
- 5131 Producers, directors, choreographers, and related occupations
- 5132 Conductors, composers, and arrangers
- 5133 Musicians and singers
- 5134 Dancers
- 5135 Actors and comedians
- 5136 Painters, sculptors, and other visual artists
Technical occupations in art, culture, recreation, and sport (Major Group 52):
521 Technical occupations in libraries, public archives, museums, and art galleries:
- 5211 Library and public archive technicians
- 5212 Technical occupations related to museums and art galleries
522 Photographers, graphic arts technicians, and technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, and the performing arts
- 5221 Photographers
- 5222 Film and video camera operators
- 5223 Graphic arts technicians
- 5224 Broadcast technicians
- 5225 Audio and video recording technicians
- 5226 Other technical and co-ordinating occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, and the performing arts
- 5227 Support occupations in motion pictures, broadcasting, photography and the performing arts
523 Announcers and other performers, n.e.c:
- 5231 Announcers and other broadcasters
- 5232 Other performers, n.e.c.
524 Creative designers and craftsperson:
- 5241 Graphic designers and illustrators
- 5242 Interior designers and interior decorators
- 5243 Theatre, fashion, exhibit, and other creative designers
- 5244 Artisans and craftsperson
- 5245 Patternmakers – textile, leather, and fur products
525 Athletes, coaches, referees, and related occupations:
- 5251 Athletes
- 5252 Coaches
- 5253 Sports officials and referees
- 5254 Program leaders and instructors in recreation, sport, and fitness
How to Apply For The Self-Employed Persons Program?
You can apply for Canadian Permanent Residence (PR) by completing an application package and submitting it to IRCC If you meet the requirements. In doing so you need to:
- Get the application Package
- Pay for the fees
- Submit your application